Market to Host Global Industry Experts at the Conference Series with Leading Independent Film Executives including The Weinstein Company’s David Glasser and Sun Seven Stars Media Group Limited’s Bruno Wu
Los Angeles (November 1, 2016) – Taking place this year from the 2nd through the 9th of November, the American Film Market (AFM) opens tomorrow for its 37th edition with 367 exhibiting companies and more than 7,500 attendees from over 80 countries expected in Santa Monica over the course of the week.
This year the market will experience a significant rise in UK exhibitors, with 38 registered companies, which marks nearly a 16% rise from last year and the highest number on record since 2009. In addition, the AFM highlights continued growth from China and Hong Kong, with over 200 registrants from Mainland China and an additional 75+ from Hong Kong. The registrants will be joining the market on behalf of over 90 different companies, continuing to promote China’s rising prominence and international business relations at the AFM.
A total of 305 films are set to screen with 252 market premieres and 71 world premieres, featuring global stars including: Alec Baldwin, Gerard Butler, Bryan Cranston, Penelope Cruz, Elle Fanning, James Franco, Salma Hayek, Demi Lovato, David Oyelowo, Aaron Paul, Rosamund Pike, Noomi Rapace, J.K. Simmons, and many others. The entire screening program can be viewed at http://www.thefilmcatalogue.com.
In addition, AFM’s programming connects attendees to thought-leaders from across the industry, providing participants with exclusive access to insider knowledge and insight. Speakers will appear across various AFM platforms between Thursday, November 3rd and Tuesday, November 8th, with Conferences on China, Finance, Pitching, Production, and Distribution.
A number of the industry’s leading independent producers, distributors, financiers, and marketing executives are confirmed to attend. The list of speakers, in alphabetical order, includes:
- Adrian Ward, SVP & Division Manager, Entertainment Industries Division, Pacific Mercantile Bank
- Brian O’Shea, CEO, The Exchange
- Bruno Wu, Founder/Co-Chairman and CEO, Sun Seven Stars Media Group Limited
- Caroline Couret-Delègue, Managing Director, Truffle Pictures
- Cassian Elwes, Independent Producer/Agent
- David Glasser, President/COO, The Weinstein Company
- David Lancaster, Producer, Rumble Films
- Don Starr, Chairman & CEO, Grosvenor Park Media
- Douglas Mankoff, Producer, Echo Lake Entertainment
- Eric Brenner, President, ETA Films
- Erick Opeka, EVP Digital Networks, Cinedigm
- Hanny Patel, Vice President, Video Marketing, AT&T Entertainment Group
- Jessica Lacy, Partner/Head, International & Independent, ICM
- Kathy Morgan, Founder & CEO, KMI
- Luke Xiang, VP and Head of International, Beijing Weying Technology Co., Ltd.
- Maren Olson, Agent, CAA
- Mark Ankner, Partner, Global Finance & Distribution, WME
- Mark Manuel, Partner, Kilburn Media
- Melanie Ansley, Producer/Co-Executive Director, China Hollywood Society
- Meyer Shwarzstein, President, Brainstorm Media
- Micah Green, Co-Head, Film Finance, CAA
- Michael Ryan, Partner, GFM Films
- Miguel Palos, CFO, IM Global
- Myles Nestel, Co-Founder/Partner, The Solution Entertainment Group
- Paul Bales, Partner & COO, The Asylum
- Paul Hanson, CEO, Covert Media
- Rena Ronson, Partner/Head, Independent, UTA
- Richard Saperstein, Principal, Storyscape Entertainment
- Robert Sherman, Shareholder, Greenberg Traurig, LLP
- Shirley Davis, Senior Vice President, Physical Production, Alcon Entertainment
- Stefan Lütje, Partner, Greenberg Traurig, LLP
- Steve Nickerson, President, Home Entertainment, Broad Green Pictures
- Tamara Birkemoe, President & COO, Foresight Unlimited
- Tannaz Anisi, President, 13 Films
- Tobin Armbrust, President, Virgin Produced
- William Feng, Head of Greater China, Vice President of Asia Pacific, Motion Picture Association
- Yolanda T. Cochran, Producer/Production Consultant
- Yugang An, CEO, Beijing In-Entertainment Media Co., Ltd
- Zanne Devine, EVP of Film & Television, Miramax
The following Conference Series’ sessions have been confirmed:
China Conference – Thursday, November 3rd
“Producing in China”
“Marketing & Distributing in China”
Finance Conference I: The Future of Global Film Finance – Friday, November 4th
“The 360 View”
“How Equity is Successfully Investing in Film”
Pitch Conference – Saturday, November 5th
“The 2-Minute Pitches”
Finance Conference II: Funding Films Today – Sunday, November 6th
“Producing Studio Films with Independent Budgets”
“The Film Finance Matrix: From Script to Screen”
Production Conference – Monday, November 7th
“Producing for the Pre-Sales Marketplace”
“Working with Talent Agents”
Distribution Conference – Tuesday, November 8th
“Working with Sales Agents”
“The Future of Video On Demand”
The following Roundtable sessions have been confirmed:
Thursday, November 3rd
“Hong Kong: The Next Generation of Project Management for Production in Asia”
Friday, November 4th
“Shoot the Book! LA: French Publishers Present Original Literary Works with Film Adaptation Potential”
Saturday, November 5th
“Making an Impact: How Telling LGBT Stories Can Pay Off”
Sunday, November 6th
“The Passion of the Film: From Inspiration to Release”
Sunday, November 6th
Monday, November 7th
“Distributing and Monetizing Feature Documentaries”
Tuesday, November 8th
“Working with the U.S. Guilds”
The AFM will run from the 2nd through the 9th of November at the Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel. The Conference Series will take place at Santa Monica’s Fairmont Miramar Hotel, and the Roundtables Series will take place at the Loews Hotel, AFM Studio.
For media inquiries, please visit: www.AmericanFilmMarket.com/press.
Join us on Twitter with @AFMOfficial and #AFM2016.
# # #
About the American Film Market
The business of independent motion picture production and distribution reaches its peak every year at the American Film Market. The global film industry converges in Santa Monica for eight days of deal‐making on films in every stage of development and production, as well as screenings, conferences, networking and parties.
With 8,000 industry leaders from more than 80 countries, 500+ screenings of 300+ films and the industry’s largest Conference Series, AFM is the pivotal destination for filmmakers, producers, writers, distributors, financiers, industry executives, talent, the international media and all those who provide services to the worldwide motion picture industry.
The AFM is produced by the Independent Film & Television Alliance® the global trade association of the independent motion picture and television industry.
About The Independent Film & Television Alliance®
The Independent Film & Television Alliance (IFTA®) is the global trade association of the independent motion picture and television programming industry. Headquartered in Los Angeles, IFTA represents and provides significant entertainment industry services to more than 125 member companies from 20 countries, consisting of independent production and distribution companies, sales agents, television companies, studio-affiliated companies, and financial institutions engaged in content finance. Collectively, IFTA Members produce more than 400 independent films and countless hours of television programming each year and generate more than $4.5 billion in distribution revenues annually. As the voice and advocate for the independent film and television industry worldwide, the Alliance speaks out on matters of critical importance and, where appropriate, actively lobbies governments around the world in regard to measures directly affecting the independent industry. For more information on IFTA, please visit www.ifta-online.org.